Hello Everyone!

As promised, here are my rambling thoughts from my time as a Noogler in Mountain View. Happy reading! H x

Friday 9 December 2011

These are a few of my favourite things...

Evening all! Friday night and I'm in my PJs already and it's not even 10pm. I've changed... It's been a REALLY long week and my poor old brain is now full, so I'm having a quiet one tonight. Planning on going out and about at the weekend, so tonight I recharge and sleep.
Got loads of photos today, although I do worry that if I post them all now I won't have anything more to share with you next week. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find something! There are vast areas still to explore! It's just finding the time in daylight to do so. And not trying to look like too much of a Google geek running about taking pics of everything... Woke up early this morning, so got the shuttle earlier and went and had breakfast then played some pinball. I love this one -


Although it isn't as good as either the Star Wars or Addams Family ones that they had in the Kosy Korner back home. Or Fish Tales which used to be in the Salisbury in Manchester. Still, it's FREE, so obviously it has its plus points... Next stop was the Micro Kitchen for some liquid refreshment for the day....


Hmmm... what to have... This'll do for starters....


From the left - some weird Japanese drink that tastes like bubble gum and has a marble in the neck. Why? How the fuck should I know?! But it does! It's ridiculously sweet, but does the trick if I'm flagging and need to wake up. In the middle is my fav Diet Mountain Dew. Mmmmm. I shall miss it. And on the right, MetroMint water. It's minty water. I thought it would be rank, but it's actually surprisingly nice and refreshing.
As I had some pages to plan, I thought it would be nice to go and get away from my desk and go and sit in the egg chairs....


The floor is glass, so luckily I had jeans on today -


So, not only do I have to remember not to wear cat socks to work anymore, I also have to remember to wear knickers. So much to remember. It's not surprising my brain feels so full.... Anyway, here I am in my egg, with the toy cat that is on hand for you to live out your Bond villain fantasies. First I do Japan, now I take over the world!!! Mwahahahahahahahahahahaa......


And here's my view as I planned global domination....


Outside on the path are people coming to pose and take photos with all the Android statues outside. There was a steady stream of them while I sat there typing away.
My US equivalent, Michele, brought in Christmas themed Krispy Kreme donuts today. Here's my Snowman...


Mmmmmm Mr Snowman tasted good....


Hardly got a lunch today, as we were stuck in a monumental stream of meetings. Managed to squeeze in some yummy bouillabaisse and a tub of froyo between them, but ate them far too quickly. Decided I would go for a quick walk in the afternoon and try and burn some of it off and enjoy the sunshine. Oh did I mention it's still SUNNY over here?! It's not as warm as it was, but I still went out and about without the need for a coat. Anyway, here's some more of the joys of the Googleplex....
In the underwater themed sculpture park where Lloyd Bridges resides, I found an Android bot ready to go scuba diving....


Then crossed the courtyard outside Charlie's restaurant. This is one of the classic Google shots, apparently...


Walked through the kitchen garden, where Google grows its own herbs and some vegetables and other bits and pieces. There were quite a few people sat in the big wooden chairs working, so didn't feel right taking photos. Plus it smelt bad, so I didn't want to hang around. So, here's a dinosaur and some plastic flamingos instead. Why? I have no idea. I'm starting to become confused by all this stuff. This is a place of work. It should be full of twats shouting at you to work harder. Shouldn't it?! 


Wandered past the beach volleyball sandpit. Resisted the urge to brush up on my skills. By which I mean, building sandcastles. The sand was pretty dry, and I didn't have a bucket and spade, and my freeform skills aren't that great.


Also resisted the urge to get my haircut in the mobile hair salon


There were also loads of signs up around campus today offering free oil changes for cars. I have yet to find the one for free arse wiping, but I'm sure there is one somewhere. Even with the toilets that can clean you up.
Headed over the bridge over Permanente Creek


So here's a definite area where Cambridge wins hands down! Permanente Creek is fucking pathetic when compared to the majestic beauty of the Cam.


You couldn't get a punt down that if you tried! In keeping with the watery theme, I then headed past the sculpture 'No Swimming' - a big silver shark fin, that was last seen at the Burning Man Festival apparently.


Popped into the lobby of the offices next to the fin to take a photo of the slide. What do you mean your office doesn't have a slide in it? What kind of hellhole are you working in?!


And now to my favourite bit of the whole campus - in between the main buildings there are a load of big palm trees that I love. So far nothing has impressed me as much as the view of these lovely trees in the sunshine.


See... Lovely....


I guess growing up in a house called 'Les Arbres' means I have trees imprinted in my DNA. What can I say?! I love trees. And these are particularly splendid trees.
Anyway, it was then a short walk back to the office. Noticed some more non-Android related sculptures outside. Men balancing on their balls....


And finally I was back to the office. Where the Android bot's Christmas wreath was twinkling in the light....


And here's a crap picture of him after dark


iPhone cameras are shit. Not had time to set up my Galaxy Nexus yet, but I'm sure I'll find time this weekend.
So there you have it, a guided tour to the Googleplex.
One week to go and I'll be back to bore you all shitless about it in person. Bet you can't wait!
Loads of love from sunny California
H xxx

4 comments:

  1. It all looks wonderful. How long are you going to be out there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just about to start my third and final week, as I'm due back in the London office for the week before Christmas. :o( Am not relishing coming back to the cold!! But am looking forward to seeing everyone for Xmas, so have lots of look forward to. Plus I may well have to come back out here in the New Year. One way to brighten up dull Januarys!! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mel - any idea when you will be landing at Xmas HQ? Going to start planning the menu this week :) Yum, yum. unfortunately there won't be any iced doughnut snowmen :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cazza! Santa's sleigh should be arriving on Xmas Eve all being well. Might be the Friday though, depending on when we finish at work and if I manage to get everything wrapped and collected in time! I have stuff all over the place! If it is Friday, it'll be late so I won't need anything. Should be with you until the day after Boxing Day as usual. Will let you know for definite when I'm back at the weekend. I'll bring the snowmen! X

    ReplyDelete