Hello Everyone!

As promised, here are my rambling thoughts from my time as a Noogler in Mountain View. Happy reading! H x

Thursday 1 December 2011

Too Much of a Good Thing...

Got up to a beautiful sunny California day. It's amazing the effect that sunshine can have on a person, especially as normally around this time of year, I'd be in cold miserable dark England, never seeing daylight and freezing my arse off. As someone who does get affected by SAD, a burst of sunshine today had quite a startling effect on me. As the GBus pulled up outside my office, I practically skipped across the lawn to work! The sunshine, the sheer joy of my 8 months of dithering and fannying about finally being over, the relief that I'm not spectacularly out of my depth here, etc etc all culminated in a strange wave of euphoria. I imagine this is what it feels like to join a cult, or be religious, or actually give a shit about stuff. My cynicism is really struggling to survive in this world. I don't think I've ever felt so happy to be able to start a day at work. Weird. Not sure if I like it or not! Not that I'd rather be my usual resentful, bitter hateful self when it comes to having to work, but still... Happy to be at work??!! That can't be right...
Although being greeted by this every morning

is obviously so much better than being greeted by this -


(Amazon's old office in Slough for the uninitiated)
I managed to take the edge off things by eating far too many lemon cheese puffs at breakfast. They are kinda hard to describe, and as it was busy in the cafe this morning, I couldn't really start taking photos. But they are like little choux pasty balls filled with lemony cream cheese, that melt in the mouth in a buttery creamy lemony joy. Felt pretty sick all morning after eating too many. And then, just as I was feeling a bit better, proceeded to overdose on peach bellini fro yo at lunch. I don't learn.... Even weirder, we again had lunch outside today. No need for coats, just my summer dress and cardigan. On the 1st of December.
By the way, I'm allowed two visitors a month for lunch in London, so start booking now to avoid disappointment!! I can roll ones over to the next month if I have a quiet month as well, so will definitely be able to host everyone at some point! Business visitors are obviously different. Unless it's the same person every day :o)
I do worry slightly that I'm already getting horrendously used to barely having to lift a finger to do anything to fend for myself! I can see myself rapidly turning into a Mariah Carey-esque diva, to the point where I won't be prepared to climb the stairs to my own flat anymore, unless they are sprinkled with rose petals, glitter and kittens. Please arrange this for me for my return. Thanks.
That said, I am working hard and my calendar is now crammed with meetings, deadlines and shit to do. My days are certainly filled, and it's good to be using my brain again. Working on so many exciting and cool things, it's just a shame I can't talk about any of them! Hence my preoccupation with sunshine, food and anything other than the real reason that I'm here!
I am finally starting to organise some fun outside of work - got a few gigs coming up and also the Android team Christmas party on Saturday in San Fran. I've decided to take the free shuttle up to San Fran after work tomorrow, stay in a hotel for two nights, and then spend Saturday day Xmas shopping in the city. So let me know what you want before Saturday! May well head up there again next weekend, but equally might head off into the countryside. So speak up now or risk being disappointed.
To this end, I should really go and pack my weekend stuff up into a bag.
Final big Noogler event tomorrow - we get our hats and attend our first TGIF with the founders of the company. Photo to follow! Promise!
H xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment