Hello Everyone!

As promised, here are my rambling thoughts from my time as a Noogler in Mountain View. Happy reading! H x

Wednesday 7 December 2011

You've got to eat a pocket or two.... or three....

So my resolve not to eat much lasted a day, as this morning brought a fresh batch of lemon cheese puffs. Or to give them their proper name, lemon cheese pockets. It looks as though they are a Wednesday treat. Look at them... so innocent and innocuous looking. Hiding their creamy cheesey lemony-ness....


I hasten to add that I didn't cover them in Wasabi - the bottle in the photo just happened to be on the table in the Atomic Cafe this morning... Refreshed by all that sugar, I then went and played pinball for a bit before getting stuck into the day's work. Discovered a very cool 3D Android Zoetrope hidden away in the games room. It's got loads of little Android figures in it in different positions, once you hit Play, it spins, and then a strobe light starts, making it look as though figures are either slaloming on skateboards, turning cartwheels, or dancing. The strobe light made me go a bit funny though. And it was impossible to take a photo of.
Found more weird things around the building today - here's the random gong - 


And here's the top of the range motorbike that's appeared in reception. It's jet-powered!!!


There was a sign next to it, saying what it was, but no explanation as to why the fuck it was there.
The Android Xmas tree is up in reception as well now - very minimal and pretty


The little green Android bots are all sparkly. If I was actually ever anywhere near my home at Xmas, I might covet them. But I'm not. So I don't. The big green Android bot outside the office on the lawn, now has a garland of lights around it, for a bit more festive charm. As does the donut. The didn't come out in photos though. But the Hardware Depot sign did -


I need to go there tomorrow, as hopefully I'll finally be getting my phone and tablet. Could really do with them, as I've pretty much got as far as I can with my training, so need them to be able to finish it. And time is starting to run out. Oh well, I can always come back in the New Year, I guess... 
The big video screen in the Micro Kitchen outside our cafe has been taken over by Google Music, showing who is listening to what and where - it's strangely compelling. Although, that may have more to do with the fact that I haven't watched TV for 11 days and counting. I think this is the longest I've gone without TV. Ever.


One of the team was celebrating her birthday today, so we all went for lunch in the cafe. The chefs laid on a special meal for us. As if the normal food wasn't good enough!! So we had trays of amazing freshly made sushi, special off-menu main dishes, and then fresh cupcakes for dessert. Brilliant! And then crazy flavours on the fro yo machine. There was a chili chocolate that was just too hot for me. It just made me sneeze!! But the lychee and plum one was delicious.
After a load of meetings I had a rare space in my calendar, so I made a trip to the Google Shop to get some Christmas presents for you all. Everyone young and old is going to get something Google-related this Xmas. Look forward to it!! Didn't take any photos in there, as I didn't want to risk spoiling the surprises you have in store :o) So here's a random Noogler robot instead


Finally, when I got home on the bus tonight, it looks like the Masonic Lodge opposite was open for some event or other. Brilliantly they have a masonic neon sign above the door. Only in America....


So that was my day... Food, pinball and shopping! And loads of work as well, obviously. I even have a to do list of stuff to get done tomorrow already, although god knows when, as my calendar is completely full from 9.15am onwards. Going to be a long day! Wish I could tell you what I'm up to, just to prove I'm not just eating and taking photos of crazy shit, but the first rule of Google is, you don't talk about Google.
Right, I'm off for a shower. See y'all tomorrow.
H xxx
PS - In case you didn't see it, here's a link to the new Google offices in London. I'll only be here for 3 months before I move to St Giles's, which is apparently similarly insane. I will literally be working in THE FUTURE!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Mel I need a sparkly green android Xmas decoration in my life. I think you need to nabble one for me - or should that be to noogle one for me...??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what the security situation is in the lobby! Would hate to get sacked in my second week for stealing Christmas tree ornaments. Plus, when I went to case out the site, I realised they are attached with bag ties, so not even easy to knock off and slip into a bag. Never say never though!

    ReplyDelete